Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

    Nothing is more painful to the human mind than, after the feelings have been worked up by a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainty which follows and deprives the soul both of hope and fear. Justine died, she rested, and I was alive. The blood flowed freely in my veins, but a weight of despair and remorse pressed on my heart which nothing could remove. Sleep fled from my eyes; I wandered like an evil spirit, for I had committed deeds of mischief beyond description horrible, and more, much more (I persuaded myself) was yet behind.

    Yet my heart overflowed with kindness and the love of virtue. I had begun life with benevolent intentions and thirsted for the moment when I should put them in practice and make myself useful to my fellow beings. Now all was blasted; instead of that serenity of conscience which allowed me to look back upon the past with self-satisfaction, and from thence to gather promise of new hopes, I was seized by remorse and the sense of guilt, which hurried me away to a hell of intense tortures such as no language can describe. 

(Frankenstein- Mary Shelley)

ترجمه: مريم عصام Mariam Essam | LinkedIn

    لا شيء أقسى على الإنسان، بعد اختباره لمشاعر ثقيلة على فترات متقاربة ومتتالية، من حالة التبلد التي تشل جسده عن الحركة وتُرغم عقله على التسليم للواقع، فيجد روحه باهتة من أي شعور، لا تخاف شيئًا ولا تأمل في شيء. ماتت جاستين، رحلت وارتاحت من عالمنا، بينما أنا بقيت على قيد الحياة، ينبض الدم في عروقي، لكن على صدري جثمَ اليأسُ والندم ولم يستطع شيء إزاحتهما. تمرد النوم على عيني، وكيف لشيطان مثلي أن ينام وألا يهيم في الأرض مثقلا بروح ماكرة خبيثة، دفعته في الماضي لارتكاب أبشع الأعمال، وكانت لا تزال (أقنعتُ نفسي بذلك) تنوي كثيرًا وكثيرًا من الشر.

    أما قلبي كان عامرًا بالخير وحب الفضيلة، ذلك القلب الذي بدأ حياته بنوايا طيبة، وودَّ أن تأتيه اللحظة لكي يحولها على أرض الواقع إلى أفعال نافعة لإخوانه من البشر، لكن ما عاد ينفعني ذلك التفكير المُطمئِن عن حسن سريرتي، ذلك التفكير الذي كان يمنحني رضًا عن ماضيَّ ويؤملني خيرًا في نفسي، أصبح غير مجديًا أمام مشاعر الندم والذنب، فتلك المشاعر تُكبلني بسلاسل من جحيم؛ عذاب لا يستطيع أحد تخيله أو وصفه.

(فرانكنستاين- ماري شيلي)

راجعه: المترجم إسلام أحمد Islam Ahmed | LinkedIn

ملحوظة: هذه الترجمات جاءت في سياق التدريب على الترجمة الأدبية، فلم أُترجم النص في سياق الرواية، لكن ترجمته منفردًا.

For more works, visit: Mariam Essam Mohamed: Contently




Comments

Popular Posts